Ah, the beautiful coconut. The kind of smell that makes you want to relax into a beach towel on the shores of Fiji with your head in a book and your toes in the sand, makes you hum the tune to Escape (the Pina Colada song) while actually drinking coconut water because you’re too broke and too pregnant to be drinking Pina coladas, and the kind that reminds you of that self tanning lotion everyone used to buy in high school and wear to school because it smelled good. That kind of coconut is the coconut that has saved my itchy and sore all over body for the last few weeks.
All women who have gone through pregnancy would recall the itchiness and uncomfortableness of the stretching *cries* of your skin. And that’s not just the skin on your belly, your back, boobs and bum cop it too (I know, we don’t have it easy). But thankfully, the God of coconut oil has been in my life a long time! Two years actually, and call it instinct, but the night I first started feeling this uncomfortable sting, I went straight for the coconut oil. And truth be told you don’t have to be pregnant to reap the benefits of this glorious and natural gift from our Mother Earth.
Coconut oil (in my direct experience) has helped me with the following in the last two years;
- Fading stretch marks
- Fading skin pigmentation (facial)
- Removing stubborn eyeliner
- After shave moisturiser (makes your skin feel like a baby Angels bum)
- Moisturiser in general
- Fading scarring (boil scarring and scratches)
- Helps create natural body heat (rub it on your chest or all over your body in winter and you’ll be set for a comfy and warm nights sleep)
- Helping with itchiness of stretching skin
- Hopefully preventing larger stretch marks (I’ll keep you posted on this one, I’m not expecting a miracle and I won’t be upset if I do get stretch marks because I’ll be proud of my body regardless, BUT if it does happen to prevent them I’ll be sure to share it)
For any lovely Mummas to be interested in my skin routine, it’s not complex at all. Get yourself some organic coconut oil, doesn’t matter what brand as long as it is certified organic (never know what nasties are hiding in the non organic ones that may not be good for your little one), and after every shower or bath you have put it on any area you feel your skin is uncomfortably stretching. The reason I do it after a shower or bath is because the warm water opens up your pores, making it easier for your skin to absorb the oil to do its magic, and then as your skin cools your pores will close meaning you’ll be less oily all over because the oil is absorbed into your pores!
So basically, it has a butt ton of benefits that I couldn’t help but share with all of my lovely followers, because even if you’re not pregnant it is a gift from God, a natural and beautiful way to keep your skin healthy.
(Not sponsored or anything, I just really flipping love coconut oil hahaha!)